01 December 2006

List for Santa Claus

Jemima has been using her Dynavox communication aid to write a long list of gifts she would like to receive as presents on Christmas day.

What about my list?

I find myself struggling to think of anything much that I desire as a gift. (Big issues here to explore in my own weblog!)

There are three movies that I watched once each at the cinema twenty or more years ago, and I should like to watch on DVD:

Steppenwolf, starring Max von Sydow
Kaos, directed by the Taviani brothers
Le Grand Meulnes

However, none of these movies has been released as a DVD in the UK. The impossibility of obtaining a copy of each is not the reason why I want them, but does explain why I do not already have them.

In terms of being convenient for my relatives, I have asked for DVDs of:

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring

I would ask for some Studio Ghibli anime DVDs, but we pretty much have the lot already. The same goes for DVDs (or VHS videos) of the works of Akira Kurosawa, Andrei Tarkovsky and Peter Greenaway. I have the three DVDs in the Koyaanisqatsi series (as well as a VHS video of Baraka - although I should prefer this in DVD as well). There are few Shakespeare movies that I do not have, and few Merchant-Ivory movies that I want and do not have. I have VHS videos of pretty much every Woody Allen movie there ever was. I have a substantial collection of British 'kitchen sink' VHS videos. We have a reasonable collection of movies from the French cinema, including Eric Rohmer (but mostly only copied from the television). Maybe, with a view to examining much more closely the process of making a French movie, I could concentrate on gathering a Rohmer DVD collection.

Dear Santa,

In order to help you choose what gifts to bring me, here are some ideas: ...

With best wishes,

Peter.

No comments: